Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Meat Liquor

After the hype this restaurant and its burgers received, I had been really keen to try Meat Liquor so my cousin and I tried it out yesterday. For those of you who have not heard of it, Meat Liquor is a burger restaurant, reminiscent of an American diner. It has a no reservations policy so quite often there used a queue outside of people waiting to be seated. This baffles me as it was quite honestly one of the worst restaurants I have ever set foot in.

Whilst the decor is interesting (see photos below), the food and service are abysmal.

Between us we decided we wanted to try a range of options so we ordered a bacon cheeseburger each, fries, chili cheese fries, slaw and the wedge salad. What an utter mistake!

The way the food was delivered in the tray was baffling. Whilst this is an interesting concept and we are open-minded about new experiences, the tables are nowhere near big enough for this to work and eating instantly becomes an uncomfortable experience. If the waiting staff could be trained in how to actually place the tray on the table, like they would be in a plate-using establishment, it would help as our tray was left hanging off the edge of the table for us to figure out the logistics of moving literally everything on the table around to fit the tray. The kitchen roll kept falling off the table too because of this which as you can imagine is unhygienic and off-putting.

The burgers were cold, a nightmare to eat and the meat did not look appetising. The bacon was a dark brown colour which was disconcerting. The taste could, at best, be described as average but quite frankly, it disappointingly left us both with stomach aches. My stomach still hurts today, over 20 hours after eating at Meat Liquor. Luckily for you, the place has very low light so I couldn't take a picture of the offending meals.

The chips were not hot either. Given the restaurant's confusing popularity, it strikes me as odd that the food is served lukewarm. It all tasted very microwaved if I am honest so we left the vast majority of the food uneaten.

The "salad" was a complete joke at £4.50 for an iceberg chopped in two and completely impractical to eat. It would have been a waste of money even if it had been eaten but its impracticality meant that it was left after several failed attempts to hack it down to bite-size pieces.

With regards to service, the waiting staff were extremely difficult to catch the attention of so by the time we were attended to, we were just extremely keen to leave as we were beginning to feel nauseous. We asked for the bill and were shocked that the waiter grunted at us, looking extremely inconvenienced, and did not take away our tray of (uneaten) food, nor did he ask if everything was ok with our meals. Surely this is standard practice in a restaurant? To make matters worse, after paying in cash, he failed to ask whether we would like our change back and assumed that we had left him a tip. A few simple manners are all that is necessary in situations like this. He was going to receive the tip anyway (even though we were served by another member of staff) but it is the principle of it all as he was not deserving of it at all.

Had we been having food at a bar or another place where food is an "add on" as it were, I might expect the service to be average but, as Meat Liquor clearly indicates on its website, it is a restaurant and not a drinking establishment ("No meat, no liquor"). This is unacceptable and false advertising. I have never been to a restaurant before where the food and service were both shockingly poor. Ensuring customers are happy and served appropriately should be a priority and they most certainly are not in this dive.

After having heard good things about Meat Liquor in reviews, this was a thoroughly disappointing experience and I cannot understand what all the fuss is about. Seriously avoid at all costs; this place appears to have fallen victim of its early success in drawing in the crowds. I just felt sorry for those who had to queue to experience this.



Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. that sounds really really awful!
    i hope your stomach won't be bad after that awful meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly didn't live up to the hype but there we go, popular things aren't always the best!
      Thank you :) x

      Delete
  2. Wow, that does sound like an awful experience! Nothing bothers me more than lukewarm food and poor service when I go out to eat. And for such a high profile place, you'd think they would be good about it!! Poor you :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all the good press it has received I thought I was going mad when I didn't like it but I have done a little internet search and turns out I'm not the only one who didn't like it. Time Out is full of negative feedback too!

      Delete
  3. What a pity you didn't enjoy yourself! I have to say, just the name Meat Liquor would put me right off (is that fussy?)

    I love Gourmet Burger Kitchen for a yummy burger and good service! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I suppose it isn't the most appealing name in the world and certainly excludes vegetarians from the start thinking about it! I have tried GBK once and did enjoy it :)

      Delete
  4. ahh i'm so surprised! i've been wanting to try this restuarant out for ages (not that i'm often in london, but still!) and all i've seen is good reviews, so i'm honestly surprised you had a bad time - and wow, such a bad time! i really hope you're feeling better, i'll be thinking twice about going here in future! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really really wanted it to be as good as I had been told it was but unfortunately it wasn't for me :( I have heard about another place which I would like to try though which is called Bubbledogs which serves hot dogs and champagne!

      Delete