Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Finding joy and getting stuff done

Spotted in Valldemossa, Mallorca
As I write this, I am sitting in my room with a towel turban on my head. About 30 seconds ago, I caught sight of myself in the bathroom mirror and did an inward giggle. Do you know the ones I mean? Those discernibly silent laughs which speak volumes in your facial muscles, like someone has metaphorically turned up the volume on your favourite song and your nose and cheeks dance in a scrunched up fashion. Sort of like a crazy smile, I suppose. A crazy smile of a stunned gremlin.

Anyhow, aside from the fact that I almost didn't recognise myself because of the aforementioned creepy grin and hair-drying contraption on head, what I noticed was that this is the feeling I get when the simplest things manage to tap into the blotchy bits of my heart and push them away for a moment (or longer, if I'm lucky). Instead, they make room for a sense of confidence in the fact that a little thing has brightened up my evening.

Today was one of those days where I managed to scoop up all the confidence I could from small joys around me and dish it out in the tasks in order to get through my day productively. It was a huge success! I didn't even realise that's what I was doing until my weird mirror revelation a moment ago.

What I am trying to say is that you can be feeling intrinsically and somewhat permanently broken, sad or consumed on one level but it is important to remember that room for light can exist if only you allow yourself to see.

I hope that if you are in need of a coping mechanism, you haven't ruled out the little things yet.

Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. It's always so wonderful to have productive days. I agree, sometimes the small things make me the happiest too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last paragraph was so important for me to read today. I had a complete mini meltdown the other day and found it hard to come back from xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often find myself coming to your words when I'm feeling lost for a moment. It always soothes me, and urges me to unwind and have a cup of tea. I hope you're having a beautiful week, Bee! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah this is so super lovely. I hope that you're having a charming week Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like this, can relate far too much - need to make the most of the small things that make me smile :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad ur day was a success, those days that are productive always put me in a good mood. 100% agree, you should be a professional quoter 'you can be feeling intrinsically and somewhat permanently broken, sad or consumed on one level but it is important to remember that room for light can exist if only you allow yourself to see' :) Big smile

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah I love moments like this. I had one just yesterday when I got caught in the rain on the way home. Gosh I looked comically horrifying. And when I caught a look of myself in the mirror when I hopped into the lift of my apartment building, I could not help but laugh out loud :D. Brighten my previously not-so-good day loads.

    I am glad you were able to get your work done whilst appreciating the small joys around you ;)

    Mo x

    ReplyDelete