I spend many an hour of my life scrolling through Pinterest, taking inspiration from the photography, style, interior design and words of wisdom on there. There's something therapeutic about it, I find. Perhaps it's the leisurely scrolling itself, the time I've taken out for myself, or the way it feeds my insatiable thirst for knowledge and beautiful things. I try to act on the motivation it gives me and recently that has manifested in the category of food.
Now, all too often any attempt to replicate something in those beautiful pictures is little short of a disaster. They look much messier than the picture and taste less appetising than the picture's colours ever gave away. So it was a real surprise when my attempt at making these egg and bacon cups was actually a success!
Look at them smiling in their little muffin tray homes. I haven't been able to stop telling people about them since!
To make six of these beauties, you will need the following:
- 6 slices of bacon
- sliced bread
- cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Drizzle a tiny amount of oil into the holes of a muffin tray, or spray some cooking spray.
3. Fry the bacon until it is partially cooked and not too crispy.
4. Cut circles out of the sliced bread, using a biscuit cutter or a cup, ensuring that they are the right size for the muffin tray holes.
5. Press the bread circles into the muffin tray holes.
6. Curl pieces of bacon around the edge of the bread circles, so that they are touching the tray as well as the bread. You might find it helpful to cut the bacon lengthways before this stage if the pieces aren't quite long enough to curl the whole way around the perimeter of the circle. If you do this, just curl the other half around from where the first piece ends, so that the whole perimeter is covered.
7. Grate a little bit of cheese on top of the bread circles.
8. Crack an egg over each cheese-topped bread circle. You may find that all of the egg-white is too much, so exercise your own judgement here.
9. Pop them into the oven for around 15 minutes or so.
10. When they're done, very carefully cut them free from the muffin tray, gently using a knife and with the help of a spatula.
11. Serve with salt and pepper, a side of mushrooms (unless you have sense and don't like them) and a cup of tea.
12. Impress and tell everyone you know!
Even the kitten thought he was getting one. Sorry kitty!
You can find the original recipe here.
Have you ever tried making anything from Pinterest? Please show me if you have and you were triumphant!