Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Baking with Beeta: COOKING EDITION



At the end of a very lovely #lbloggers chat the other weekend, I had to dash off and help my mum prepare dinner - paella. Yum yum flipping yum. I had a request for the recipe so here I am duly sharing the love/yum with you :) When I was in Madrid, I tried paella for the first time and found the experience slightly intimidating as the prawns still had heads on, I'd never eaten mussels before and I couldn't figure out what anything else in the dish was! This version is a lot simpler but hopefully one day I will attempt proper paella too :) We based this attempt on The Guardian's recipe in their little "Cook" supplement on a Saturday. 

To make this (for 4 people)


You will need:

- 4 cups of paella rice
- 750ml chicken or vegetable stock (or fish for a particularly fishy dish)
- a red pepper or two (I used 1 and a half), chopped
- 200g prawns, cooked
- 200g chorizo (we had garlic and paprika flavour), chopped
- white fish, chopped (if you fancy it)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- a few sprigs of parsley
- the juice of one little lemon

1. Using a relatively shallow pan (a wok may also work) and a dash of oil, cook the onion, peppers and garlic.
2. Add the chopped chorizo chunks to the pan and leave until the red juice oozes out. 
3. Add the rice and mix everything through. We were slightly ill-prepared and didn't actually use paella rice...being Iranian we have a never ending stash of Basmati so we used this this time. If you want to do the same, I suggest cooking the rice separately for a bit before finishing it off with everything else.
4. Add the stock (and the fish pieces if desired), leave to simmer and cover it up for 15 minutes.
5. Add the prawns and after a few minutes, stir through the lemon juice. You should aim for the majority of the stock to have been soaked up before you're done.
6. Throw on the parsley and voilá! 




What's your favourite bit of paella? I can't resist the chorizo!

PS. I didn't actually burn any of this :)
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment